Fun Facts Fri 420 @ Cannabis Corner
INFORMATION IS POWER
There are over 100 street names for Marijuana:
- The name marijuana comes from a Mexican slang term for cannabis and is believed to have derived from the Spanish pronunciation of the names Mary and Jane. (The two names were also common Mexican military slang for a prostitute or brothel.) Marijuana came into popularity as a name for cannabis in the U.S. during the late 1800s.
- This is one of the longest marijuana facts! Some of the names for marijuana sound plant-based: weed, grass, pot, and ganja. Others sound like the name of a friend: Mary Jane, herb, bud, cheeba, and Buddha.
- The list doesn’t end there. Some names of marijuana sound like distinctly scientific: hydro, chronic, and Frankenstein. Other names for marijuana are based on the names of cannabis plant varieties: Northern Lights, Purple Haze, and Maui Wowie.
There are three main types of Marijuana:
Cannabis Sativa, Cannabis Indica and Cannabis Ruderalis.
- Cannabis Sativa grows taller and it gives more of a head high.
- Indica is a short bushy plant and the high is more muscle relaxing throughout the body and it has variety of medical uses.
- Cannabis Ruderalis grows in colder climates (Eastern Europe and Russia).
Marijuana Wasn’t Always Illegal in the United States
It’s one of the surprising marijuana facts that marijuana wasn’t always illegal in the United States. There were regulations and restrictions on marijuana, but it wasn’t until the 1930s that marijuana became an illegal drug in many places. Marijuana was originally classified as a poison, before being classified as a controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act in 1970.
- Marijuana was easily obtained at the local grocery store or pharmacy until the early 1940s. From 1850 to 1942, marijuana was listed in the United States Pharmacopoeia as a useful medicine for nausea, rheumatism, and labor pains and was easily obtained at the local general store or pharmacy
Marijuana is the Most Widely Used Drug in the World
According to the United Nations, or UN, marijuana is the most widely used drug in the world. The UN is the source of one of the most astonishing marijuana facts, namely that over 100 million adults worldwide use marijuana.
Interesting fact about marijuana is that marijuana cures/prevents more than 100 diseases including cancer and depression.
- High levels of THC (psychoactive part of cannabis) are found mostly in female plants. Most of the smokers like to keep their females plants seed free discarding all male plants on order to stop them from pollinating.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is compound in cannabis that helps cancer patients and it is suggested that these patients intake marijuana that contains higher levels of CBD.
check out her website and YouTube video series!!! © 2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED